Planning to buy or sell property in India? But no plans to visit in near future. Sending a Power of Attorney would be a solution. How? Here is the step by step process
- POA format
- Passport and Visa
- Passport photograph
- Id and address proof
Steps for creation:-
- Get the POA format ready and print it on the plain paper
- Sign it on every page also from 2 witnesses with their address
- Get the papers attested from the public notary. Carry address and id proof also
- Public notary attestation can be done at state department as well be we came to know that later
- Public notary will also provide one form on which needs to be provided to the state department for apostillisation
- Take all the documents to department of state in our case we went to Sacramento
- Department of state will put seal on POA format and return back to you. They accept fee from Debit/Credit cards
- Next step is to get xerox of attested POA, download and fill miscellaneous application form and affix passport photo on form before going to consulate
- Get the money order / cashier check of $22 in favor of “Consulate General of India, San Francisco”. Additional $10 is for photograph attestation.
- Submit all documents to consulate (attested POA, copy of address and ID proof, passport and visa)
- Submit money order / cashier check to other counter and they will provide receipt/token to get documents back.
- They will keep the original passport with all documents, Return window opens at 4 PM attested POA and original will be returned.
Some pointers: –
- Print POA document single sided
- Department of state office opens at 8 am, try to reach there as soon as they open since it will be crowded later.
- Document submission at consulate will not take much time if you have all documents in ready.
- Don’t forget to carry original passport to consulate they will verify original passport.
- Since POA will be registered in India, send it through proper channel( USPS/UPS etc.) since envelope will also need to be presented to registrar.
|Time taken to figure out the process||1 weekend|
|Attestation form public notary||15 mis|
|Document submission at consulate||½ hr|
|End to end processing time||1 week|